Top 10 things to do after installing wordpress
After install wordpress for blogging solution there are some post installation work left that you should perform so that you could save your time and can ready your blog for make money for you.
1. Change the Admin Password
when we install wordpress first time it generate a password for you that is very hard to remember unless you have done some memory courses for learning all these stuff so first thing that you should do after installing wordpress is change this wordpress password
follow these steps for changing wordpress password
- Login in your admin panel by following http://www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin
- Enter your default userid and password.
- After Login click on the “admin” link at top left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen.
- Enter the new password.
- Save changed by clicking Update profile.
2. Upload Your Theme and Activate It
After changing successfully your password now time to change look of your blog from the default style to some attractive one. select a theme that is very attarctive and clean. when selecting a theme please keep some points in mind.
- it should reflect your blog.
- it should be very clean.
- it should be content based and should not use more graphics.
3. Add Your Categories and Change the Default
Categorizing your post is better way to manage them. that is why WordPress comes with the default uncategorized category. but it looks odd when we see uncategorized category appear below the post for the user. so it is time to rename it with the category you want. at the same time also add some category in which your post will fall when you write them.
4. Edit Permalinks
Before start writing or publishing your content it is better to “edit Permalinks” of your post. Permalinks are relative URL of your post that appear in the address bar of web browser. it looks very ugly when it look like this
it is also not search engine friendly. we should change it to something like that is remember able for the user and also search engine friendly
follow these steps to change Permalink settings for your post
- Login to your admin panel of your blog.
- Click on Setting tab in the left side bar of your Dashboard.
- click on “Permalinks” links.
- Enter “/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%.html” in custom structure textbox.
- Save changes.
5. Install Google XML Sitemap
Google Sitemap is plugin available to create a sitemap of your blog whenever a post is published on your blog. sitemap is very useful because they contain the structure of your blog and using it search engine easily process your blog.
follow these steps to install Google Sitemap
- download Google Sitemap Plugin
- upload it to your website from Add new option available under plugin tab.
- after successfully installation activate it.
Akismet is plugin available in wordpress that stops spamming in your blog.
when user visit your blog some time they post some unwanted message or they can post some advertising of their website using comments. Akismet stop all these stuff for you.
Follow these steps to Activate Akismet.
- Akismet comes with the WordPress installation. so enable it from the plugin menu.
- Activate Akismet is very easy. you need wordpress key to activate Akismet.
- Register yourself with the WordPress and get your WordPress Key.
- Enter your wordpress Key in Akismet Configuration and Tools Menu
7. Install WordPress Database Backup
Database Backup is very important when we meet some mishap. so we should take Database Bakup regularly. there is plugin available that do this task for you. they take your Database Backup and send it to by Email.
8. Install Google Analytics
When we complete our blog publishing we have some questions in our mind.
- How many visitors are visiting your website across the world ?
- How much time they are spending on your website ?
- Where you should change your post ?
- Which post people read most ?
so Tracking your blog is very important.you can do this task very easily using the Google analytics plugin.
Follow these steps to install Google analytics plugin
- Create Analytic account on Google.
- Download Google analytics plugin and activate it.
- Enter your analytics ID in the plugin option that will activate it.
9. Add your RSS feed to Feedburner
There are various ways by which we can promote our Blog. Best way is to your RSS Feed. we can use Feedburner Plugin to do this task for us.
Follow these steps to perform this task:
- Create Feedburner account on Google.
- Install Feed burner Plugin.
- Activate it From the Plugin Menu.
10. Test Your Blog
We have done some major changes till now in our WordPress Blog. so it is time to check how our blog will look like. Create a sample post and publish it. Go to the front and side of your WordPress Blog.
This way we finish all the 10 Things that is very important after installing WordPress.
So now it is time to write your post and publish them for the users.