After installing wordrpess you see Dashboard menus in wordpress. Lets discuss those menu in this tutorial so that you can have initial understanding of wordrpess. Dashboard
As you can see from above screenshot Posts is our first menu in wordpress dashboard which contain all post of your blog. Post can be understand as a single story of any newspaper. Every single news is called as post in wordpress so if we say post any where in these tutorials you should always remember a single news of news papers. Posts is divided in sub menu called
- All Post : this will show you all post of your blog
- Add New: You can create new post from this menu option
- Categories: Categories is a way to organize your post in a structured manner. In simple word it can be understand as dividing news story in categories like Sports, World,Political news etc.
- Tags: Tags is way to refer a single word in multiple story. Sports news can be added as National or International.
Media is second menu option in Dashboard menus in wordrpess admin menubar. This menu is used to add Images in your wordpress blog. Library submenu shows all images and Add new gives an ability to add more.
Links menu option is third Dashboard menus in wordpress used to show other website links in your blog. if you have multiple website and if you want to show your partner website links on your blog you can add them here.
A user can leave their feedback on your blog post which might related to your blog or can be spam comment so before making them public administrator of blog has rights to moderate them before publish. they can be managed using this menu option.
This menu option is basically related to your blog theme and style. how your blog will be displayed to user can be managed using this option. it is divided in 4 parts
- Themes : If you want to install any new theme you will have to install using this option.
- Widget : Widget are customized code which goes in sidebar of your blog. their are various pre defined custom code to drag and drop additional functionality to your blog. we will tell you in details about this later in another tutorial.
- Menus : Navigation menu in your blog can be added here in drag and drop view.
- Editor : Edit is used to modify theme files. it is not recommended to work with theme files if you are beginner but later you can edit that
Plugins are a way to add additional functionality in wordpress. they provide lot more support to wordpress. for example if you want to show your tweets in sidebar you have two option either work with wordpress core files if you are developer or use plugin of twitter to show tweets if your not programmer. there are lots of options available using plugins. we will digg into this later.
Users menu is straight forward you can manage blog users using this option.
Tools menu is basically used to import and export blog information from one host to another host.
Settings is configuration section of any blog which allows user to control behavior settting of your blog. It is defined in various sections such as
- General : This section allows blog administrator to change blog title, sub heading etc.
- Reading: This section has configuration related to blog reading section. as beginner users leave them as it is.
- Writing : This section has configuration related to blog writing from comment addition etc.as beginner users leave them as it is.
- Media : Media related configuration such as thumbnail size can be changed from here.
- Privacy: User can hide there blog from search engine using this sub menu.
- Permalink: SEO friendly url can be generated using this sub menu option. we will cover this topic in a separate tutorial.
you will see later that settings menu have many other options available which belongs to various plugins installed to that blog. Generally plugin developer add Plugin menu option in Settings Menu but it can be some where else also
I think now you have basic understanding of Dashboard menus in wordpress. so go through with them and explore more about them. you can also find details in wordpress documentation
Happy Blogging !!!